First of all, with today being Good Friday and the long Easter weekend nearly in full swing we hope you all have a great day/weekend. Keep safe, stay home, and enjoy all the chocolate!
As the coronavirus progresses the hotel industry is being ever more affected. We would like to call attention to the efforts of those who, despite coming to terms with the situation themselves, have made incredible efforts in supporting not only their local communities but also the frontline staff fighting against this virus every day.
Here at Avvio, we are in awe at the great efforts our friends within the hotel industry are going to. From offering free accommodation to their country’s frontline staff to becoming a care centre for patients affected by coronavirus! Here are some of our favourite examples:
- Dromoland Castle has offered their support to their local community by offering their rooms to the State to be used by either medical staff or to house people with illness to helping families in coping with isolation. https://www.hospitalityandcateringnews.com/2020/04/preferred-hotels-resorts-providing-five-star-help-local-communities-covid-19/
- Ariel House in Dublin has reached out to offer free accommodation to coincide with Irish band ‘The Script’s’ complimentary gig in honour of healthcare staff working on the frontline.
- The Ramada Hotel by Wyndham is being converted into an after care facility for those still requiring essential care after being discharged from hospital. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-52192118
- Choice Hotel Group offered 1800 free stays to healthcare workers and received an amazing response! https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/irish-hotel-group-gives-away-250000-worth-of-stays-to-healthcare-workers-39087362.html
Support for the hospitality sector in other areas can be seen all throughout the world from companies changing their methods and showing innovation to creating resources to help fight the cause. Here are just a few examples of what we have noticed over the last 2 weeks.
- The British public have managed to donate more than £130,000 to NHS staff in under 48 hours via Deliveroo’s new fundraising function. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8177467/Deliveroo-customers-donate-130-000-NHS-staff-just-48-hours.html
- Michelin star Chefs in Ireland have teamed together to ease the pressure of front line staff by delivering hundreds of meals. https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/coronavirus-michelin-starred-chefs-dish-out-meals-for-front-line-workers-1.4223115
- Well known makers and leading brands within the Drinks Industry have pulled together both to support restaurants and bars worldwide in creating the necessary medical aid that is so desperately needed at this time. https://drinksretailingnews.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/19466/Coronavirus:_Alcohol_producers_are_making_a_difference_during_this_difficult_time.html
Schools, universities and educational centres
Irish educational facilities have used their initiative in backing the HSE by using their unique capabilities to tackle the pandemic by graduating medical students early to join the fight and by using their equipment to create supplies to protect our healthcare workers.
- NUI Galway have held the graduation for 190 medical students in an online ceremony in order to fast-track them to ensure more doctors are able to work at this crucial time. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/nuig-medical-students-graduate-early-and-online-to-join-pandemic-fight-1.4222002
- This is just one of many examples of establishments using their resources in creating much needed PPE. https://www.dcu.ie/news/news/2020/Apr/DCU-producing-face-masks-and-goggles-for-frontline-health-care-workers-state-of
- Scientists at UL aid more testing. Scientists at University of Limerick have responded to shortages by creating a testing solution which is now being used at the city’s acute hospital. https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0406/1128833-scientists-at-ul-make-solution-to-aid-more-testing/
Famous Brands are also playing their part where they can by providing solutions that will ease the pressure and help tackle this crisis.
- As hundreds of medical professionals have answered to ‘Ireland Call’ and returned to help the cause Axa and Renault have offered free insured cars to help with commuting. https://www.thesun.ie/news/5289809/coronavirus-in-ireland-axa-renault-free-insured-cars-healthcare-workers/
- In a bid to help flatten the curve Facebook has provided vital data to researchers who are tracking and fighting the coronavirus. https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/facebook-unveils-tools-to-help-researchers-fight-coronavirus-spread-1.4222436
- Twitter donating – The Chief Executive and Founder Jack Dorsey has donated over €900 million in funds that will be managed towards battling the coronavirus pandemic. https://extra.ie/2020/04/08/news/world-news/twitter-ceo-jack-dorsey-donates-over-e900-million-covid-19-relief-fund
More and more we are seeing the nation’s communities join forces and exceed expectations, these are a few of the many stories we have seen over the last week.
- ‘feed the heroes’ – A National fundraising effort has been set up on the back of one man’s ambition to raise €1000 to buy a few meals to raising more than €700,000. https://www.limerickpost.ie/2020/04/04/irish-people-show-their-support-helping-to-feed-the-heroes/
- NHS Volunteers to start tasks -The army of more than 750,000 volunteers have started receiving their tasks to help relieve pressure on the NHS. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52196459
- Uber Eats to add a donate button that will allow users of the app to support their local restaurants who are facing harrowing times. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8186353/Uber-Eats-add-donate-button-supporting-restaurants-struggling-coronavirus-shutdowns.html
Here are some tweets we loved this week and the hashtags we recommend following on this feel-good Friday!
#Allinthistogether #Supportlocalbusiness #Selfisolationhelpmoments #StayHomeSaveLives #SocialDistancing #EasterAtHome #HappyAtHome